Swim clinic with Tri Unify

On Saturday, I skipped my bike clinic Multi-sport clinic in order to attend a free 2 hour swim clinic with Tri Unify. It was well-worth it! Coach Jeff Brown is excellent at what he does. We started off on the pool deck, practicing technique from head to toes and then, three rows each in 10-12 feet of water, it was time to dive off.

Ok, now I cannot swim an entire length of the pool, but it was that time. Looking back, I was either brave, a bit of a risk-taker or just plain stupid lol. So before anyone got in, the coach asked if everyone could swim and indeed I said a little. So there was no backing out, I dived...yes DIVED in when it was my turn and almost got the end...so I doggy-paddled to the side and let the rope bring me all the way and came out and walked around...no swimming back the next length for me. The feed-back from this session was that I'm expending too much energy with my kicks and my breathing. True! The next drill, we worked on our kicks and learnt our feet should be pigeon-toed, with big toes almost touching and our legs straight. We went in with hand-floats and practiced and when that was done my thighs felt like they were on fire so note to self, I need to practice and strengthen my thighs with that drill.

To my delight, we proceeded to the shallow end of the pool. Now, this drill I totally appreciated. We made two facing lines (the group was about 14-16 persons) with the hand floats and pushed water back and forth to simulate open water and lots of people swimming hard and crazy. One person at a time had to swim through the turmoil and when it was my turn I made it to the end, after gulping some water in the process. So the lesson for this drill is to take your breaths with your head to the front and not to the side when there is so much choppy water!


Next, we moved on to slowing down, when to breathe and proper technique. The idea is to swim, fingers together, hands NOT cupped and both hands should NEVER meet. So they both should be fully extended at opposite ends of the body. Now, the length of your hands should reach as fat as possible, and when in the water, the elbow should bend and water should be pulled in, towards the body. Kicking, I learnt is not of great importance as the less you can kick, the more energy you can save. So, simple flutter kick to keep yourself afloat and also keep your chest forward and head down, but not stuck to your chin.

After I did the drill, the coach said I had perfect technique but need to work on the breathing so that I don't get tired so fast. PERFECT technique...what?!! I was shocked to hear that...wow. I feel now if I can get my breathing better..I'll be swimming like a fish in no time.

Those were the highlights, but such a great clinic. Going back to the pool sooooon!

1 comments:

Tri Becca March 8, 2010 at 7:14 AM  

Thanks SO much for sharing!! I will probably read this a few times. I think that you have perfect technique, beacuse you are just learning and have not formed any bad habits. Lets try to get to the pool together this week. We can maybe help each other with breathing and you can show me the fancey new moves that you learned in this clinic. Shall we?? I can come to Takoma!

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Too much to tell. Summary- 24, lesbian, passionate, perfectionist, semi-serious...

Followers